Sunday, January 17, 2021

Fight of the Century

Fight of the Century: Writers Reflect on 100 Years of Landmark ACLU Cases edited by Michael Chabon, 2020

Finished reading in January 2021

This was one of my first books of 2021 that I started reading the first week of January.  This book is a wonderful collaboration between the American Civil Liberties Union and some of the most influential writers working today. Each essay is written by a different author on a landmark civil liberties case in the Supreme Court that marks the 100th anniversary of the organization.

Some of the many authors I've recently read are represented here including Jonathan Lethem, Yaa Gyasi, Ann Patchett, Michael Chabon, Neil Gaiman, Dave Eggers, Scott Turow, Louise Erdrich and so many more.

I started reading this book a few days before the trump insurrection and it had a deep impact on me as the terrorist stormed the Capitol Building.  Those trump supporters were obviously against everything that the heroes of this book stood for. As the days went by I immersed myself in this book and relished being an American where we strive to improve ourselves and our country. As I read these stories of people conquering injustices and as Inauguration Day approaches I'm feeling better about America.

I had downloaded this book from the public library as an e-book. I was enjoying reading these essays and drawing inspiration from the amazing perspectives of the various authors. I found that I was going back and rereading some of the essays and then I did something unusual. Before I even finished the book, which had a significant waiting list at the library, I purchased a hardbound copy for myself.




No comments: