Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Random Album Effect - My (2)

This is the second set of music with albums starting with My in the title. I selected this Chick Corea album first to listen. I had this on vinyl when it was released in 1976 and played it a lot when I was on a jazz fusion kick and in particular we listened to Chick Corea. My Spanish Heart was a little different from his previous albums as he embraced his Latin roots much more on this set which was his tenth solo album at the time and was a 2 LP record. I hadn't listened to this all the way through in years and it sounded great. I also knew every song very well. It was a great start for this set.

Next up was the R&B great Chuck Willis who had sadly died in 1958 at the age of 32 and at the peak of his career. He was known as The King of the Stroll and had  top of the charts songs like his C.C. Rider. This album My Story is a compilation of his songs from 1951 to 1958 and sounded wonderful. Many of his songs were covered by other R&B artists with much success. I was toe tapping throughout this set.

This was followed by singer songwriter Shawn Mullins' My Stupid Heart from 2015. This was his ninth solo album of alternative pop with a country rock folk story telling feel that explores a timeless American tradition. It was all very pleasant and sounded very nice after the Chuck Willis R&B. 

Speaking of a timeless American tradition... the next album up was a wonderful collection of classic soul music covered by New Orleans soul vocalist Aaron Neville who had that great #1 song Tell It Like It Is back in 1966. My True Story was released in 2013 on Blue Note Records and contains about a dozen great songs from the classic period of soul music. He has always been an outstanding vocalist and he shines with this material.

The album in this set took the music to the new but vintage R&B sound of Eli 'Paperboy' Reed and his 2016 gospel influenced album My Way Home. Reed has been putting out retro-soul-blues revivalist albums since 2005. This is his fifth album and it evokes the music I just heard on the previous Aaron Neville album. This music is very swampy late 60's Memphis style soul and sounded great. A nice way to end this set of music.

  • Chick Corea - My Spanish Heart, 1976
  • Chuck Willis - My Story 1951-1958, 1980
  • Shawn Mullins - My Stupid Heart, 2015
  • Aaron Neville - My True Story, 2013
  • Eli 'Paperboy' Reed  - My Way Home, 2016






No comments: