Saturday, January 2, 2021

H. G. Wells

I recently read another book by H. G. Wells. It was also the first time I've read a collection of his short stories. The Country of the Blind and Other Selected Stories was first published in 1911.

H. G. Wells was one of my favorite authors when I was a young teenager. I had been reading many Tom Swift science fiction adventure books for kids and eventually moved on to the books of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne which I then read each more than once as I became a young adult.

I should add that I saw the movies of their novels at Saturday matinee shows long before I read any of their books. I also remembered several of the short stories I read recently from old TV shows that had been made from these stories particularly the The Country of the  Blind and The Empire of the Ants.

Books of H. G. Wells I've read... as an adult. I read the first two also as a young teen in the mid 1960's after seeing the movies.

  • The Time Machine, 1895 - Jan 1970
  • The War of the Worlds, 1898 - Apr 1970
  • The Invisible Man, 1897 - Jan 1971
  • The Island of Doctor Moreau, 1896 - Oct 1971
  • The Food of the Gods, 1904 - Feb 1972
  • When The Sleeper Wakes, 1899 - Nov 1972
  • The War in the Air, 1908 - Nov 1972

No comments: