Monday, January 25, 2021

Woody Guthrie - Classic Antifa

This morning I listened to the Woody Guthrie 4 CD set compilation My Dusty Road released by Rounder Records in 2009. An amazing collection of Americana and the original and classic sound of antifa. As his guitar always said... "this machine kills fascist".  That statement was also displayed on American tanks in World War II during the 1945 invasion of Germany.  He originally wrote that on his guitar in 1943.

Woody Guthrie is considered one of the most significant figures of American folk music. I can remember as a little kid singing his song This Land Is Your Land and I knew all the words. I think every child in our grade school knew the words to that song. When I became a teenager and became aware of Bob Dylan then learned more about Woody Guthrie and the folk music he influenced with his songs and life. I've read a lot about him over the years but have actually never read a biography. I should fix that. 

Of course I did see the movie Bound For Glory. He was a prolific writer of songs, poems and stories and many of them were anti-fascist. He died in 1967 but not before witnessing the folk revival of the sixties.

The 4 CD set My Dusty Road contains 54 tracks.

Today there is an anti-fascist movement in America that the conservative right wing labels communists. Some things never change.


No comments: