Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Doo Wop Box Sets

This is my morning kitchen listening today. Put it on and just it all play.

Maybe it's from growing up in Philly but I would take both of these Doo Wop box sets with me to that proverbial desert island.

It was like street corner soul and everyone tried their hand at it. Especially those of us who were choir boys. These were the slow songs at school dances and those Sunday afternoon dances at Wagner's Ballroom on Broad Street. They were also the soundtrack in a house with older brothers and sisters, cousins. In our case a teenaged aunt who lived down the street and was our babysitter. 

We also heard a lot of this music on the radio where by the mid 1960's there were plenty of oldies shows and DJ's were

promoting their collections of oldies. I had several of these albums by Jerry Blavat, Hy Lit, Joe Niagara and others.

When Becky and I got married we had our first dance to a song from this set.  I Only Have Eyes For You by The Flamingos. We also had that song at our children's weddings.

Lots of great music on these 8 discs and wonderful memories too.


No comments: