Sunday, January 7, 2024

Black Market - Weather Report in Concert

Another Album, another artist, another concert. In April 1976 Becky and I went to see Weather Report at the Tower Theater in Philly. I was very much into that band at that time and had several of their albums including Black Market which was released earlier in the year. I started out liking this band back in 1972 with their album I Sing The Body Electric. A shipmate turned me on to that band and I started buying their albums when I got out of the Navy in 1973. I wrote about this band previously here... Weather Report.

One of the reasons we wanted to see this particular show was because the opening act was John McLaughlin and Shakti. I had also been a fan of John McLaughlin for some time and had some of his early albums from the 1960's and early 1970's before he formed the Mahavishnu Orchestra. I had previously seen that band in concert in 1974 opening for Frank Zappa but that's another story.

Shakti was very different. He sat on the stage Indian musician style and played acoustic guitar along with several Indian musicians including L. Shankar on violin. It was an amazing show.

No comments: