Monday, January 8, 2024

George Benson - Concerts & Albums

I've always liked the guitar playing of George Benson. He's a pretty good singer too. The other day I was playing music videos on YouTube and came across a concert of George Benson from the mid-1960's. It was great. Then I watched another one from the early 1980's where he was singing in his R&B style along with playing his guitar. It was a wonderful show.

Then I put a few of his albums on the stereo and listened to George Benson all day. Although I do like his later pop music I especially love his earlier soul jazz period especially when he was playing with Brother Jack McDuff. 

Becky and I did see him perform in concert sometime in the mid to late 1980's. I tried looking up when he played in Buffalo and there was not a lot of information. We did remember seeing him along with some other jazz performers so it was probably at Melody Fair in North Tonawanda. There was a show in September 1988 but that seemed late. We thought it was earlier like the early or mid 80's. He did also play Kleinhams in 1980 but he was alone at that show. Well, we know we saw him during his 80's pop music phase and it was a wonderful show.

George Benson in my collection

  • The New Boss Guitar of George Benson with The Brother Jack McDuff Quartet, 1964
  • The George Benson Cookbook, 1967
  • Beyond The Blue Horizon, 1971
  • Breezin', 1976
  • The Best of George Benson, 1995
  • The Best of George Benson - The Instrumentals, 1997
  • Talkin' Verve: George Benson, 1997
  • The George Benson Anthology, 2000

No comments: