Tuesday, February 8, 2022

The China App

China is fighting the coronavirus during the Beijing Olympics with a tracking phone app that displays your current virus status which then controls where you can be depending on the color shown on your phone screen. If it is green then you can leave your home, go to work, take a subway, go to restaurants, cafes or shopping malls. If it is amber or red then you are barred from entry. The 'health code' is depends on mobile technology and big data. It controls the movement of people in an attempt to control the spread of the virus. The app requires people to enter heath data and virus vaccination status.

The scary thing about this technology is that it can be applied to a variety of personal information about people and expanded to include population controls not only in China but throughout the world. It could even happen in the US. Anything and anybody could be tracked.

Recently I noticed that Google Maps would giving me information about all the places I walked to and the amount of walking I did in January. They made it look like a positive health tracking service but I was stunned to see it. For instance it tracked the times and places I went when I was walking Henry home from school or taking Stella for a walk. 

I've also noticed how much Google Maps has been tracking all of the places I've been to. It used to be that one needed to check in to a place to be noticeably tracked but now just being there is enough. 

The China App is just an expanded version of what we already are experiencing everyday when we carry our phones with us.


No comments: