Sunday, February 20, 2022

Death of an iPod

Last night I was riding my exercise bike while wearing headphones and listening to music on my iPod when suddenly there was a screech, followed by a pop and then silence. My iPod was dead. 

I've worked with computers long enough to know the sound of a hard drive and that was certainly it. Actually I had been expecting it for some time because I've had that iPod since 1995. Twenty-six years is a long time to have a working electronic device and I knew I was on borrowed time.

I really did love this iPod and it has always been reliable. It was a 80 GB classic. I used it all the time for many different situations. I always had it full of music to full capacity and usually with a mix of albums and playlists. Recently I had it loaded only with my mega mixes. I was playing those mixes every evening in the basement while riding the exercise bike. I would also sometimes attach the iPod to the main first floor stereo to play throughout the house. Plenty of times I would attach it to the stereo boombox CD player in the backyard sunroom. Late summer I bought a Bluetooth speaker with an aux input that I used with the iPod. I had a couple of portable speaker systems that charged and played my iPod. I would take one of them on vacation every year. Of course I had earplugs and would play my iPod when out taking walks by myself over the years. That was a lot of use for more than 25 years. 

I've already started looking for something to replace it. I liked a high capacity 128GB Sony MP3 player but it was about $300. There seem to be a lot more inexpensive options available from a lot of no-name electronic companies. New players seem to have more options these days including Bluetooth compatibility. They all have expandable storage. I think that in a few days I will have a new MP3 player.

Update: 1/27/22

I plugged the iPod into a charger and let it sit for about a week while I researched alternative mp3 players and behold it resurrected itself. Suddenly it was working fine. We'll see how that goes.

Update: 1/27/23

My iPod is still working fine and I'm using it several times a week.

No comments: