Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Pandemic Dating & Wedding - The Grandparents

I was thinking about my grandparents recently and what it must have like for them to be young people in love and considering getting married during a pandemic. I really don't know very much about them and what they must have been going through together at that time. I wish we had some letters or some written account of their lives at that time. Not knowing anything about them is why I'm writing this journal blog. I want my grandchildren to know something about me in my own words and I remember about my parents, grandparents and great-grandparents.

The so called 1918 Pandemic lasted for several years just like we are experiencing today. People had to wear mask in public like in this photo. I have read several books about that pandemic but it was so different from our experiences because of technology. 

My paternal grandparents George Emery and Katherine Galvin got married in August 1921. I have a photo of them together with a date of 1919 written on the back. I wonder if they had to put off their wedding like so many people have had to do over the past couple of years. I wish I had a wedding photo of them. Maybe someone in the family has one but I've never seen one. It would be nice to know more about their wedding. My father was born a year later in 1922. Wow, his 100th birthday is coming up this year. 

Sadly both my grandfather and grandmother died early and only my grandfather got to meet one of his 34 grandchildren. So sad.

No comments: