Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Random Album Effect - BBC (1)

This is the first of several RAE sets of shows at the BBC. I looking at my iTunes and suddenly stopped browsing at Ultravox live at the BBC. Haven't listened to this in a long time so my first album in this random set was Ultravox BBC Radio 1 in Concert at the Paris Theater 1981 that was released in 1991. I have quite a few of the BBC series of live shows they've recorded over the years. They have always been good and this live Ultravox set was awesome. I particularly liked the the three song series All Stood Still/Sleepwalk/Vienna. The sound here was a little harder live than usual.

The next album up was a double set BBC concert from 1979 featuring both The Selecter and The Specials. This was a wonderful live show from two of my favorite Two Tone English ska bands. BBC Radio 1 Live The Selecter and The Specials Live in Concert 1979 and was released in 2010. Each band played about a half hour. 

I really enjoyed the next album The La's BBC in Session 1987-1990 released in 2006. I really never heard of anything by this band until their first album in 1990 so I was surprised when I first got this and saw they were recording in 1987.  I also had later learned that There She Goes, which I consider to be a perfect pop song was originally released in 1988 and then re-released in 1990 for the album. This album here is a combination of four shows by this band over that time period. It was nice to hear these striped down versions of their songs.

Next up was Scottish indie pop band Belle and Sebastian's BBC Sessions 1996 & 2001 that was released in 2008. I have five of their albums along with this live BBC session which is a collection of recordings at the BBC from 1996 to 2001 on one disc and then a live in Belfast set on the other one. Lots of great music on this set and sounded great following the La's.

And Finally Tindersticks' BBC Sessions 1994-1997 rereleased in 2007. I have a few of their albums and have always enjoyed their melancholy music with their intricate arrangements and long and sometimes obtuse composition structures but always interesting. Great mood and atmosphere music and everything on this set sounded nice as a follow up to Belle and Sebastian.

  • Ultravox - BBC Radio 1 in Concert 1981, 1991
  • The Selecter - BBC in Concert 1979, 2010
  • The Specials - BBC in Concert 1979, 2010
  • The La's - BBC in Session 1987-1990, 2006
  • Belle and Sebastian - BBC Sessions 1996 - 2001, 2008
  • Tindersticks - BBC Sessions 1993-1997, 2007






No comments: