Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Miles Davis Live Albums 3 Sets




I started my morning kitchen listening with Miles Davis: In Person at the Blackhawk Complete Shows which is a 4 CD set that include the two original albums Vol. and Vol. 2 that were recorded and released in 1961. I
t was time for a long day of live Miles Davis on the stereo. 

I let iTunes randomly pick the next couple of live albums from my Miles Davis collection. I counted 14 live albums and many of them are multiple disc box sets. I could just play live Miles for a long time but today I played three sets from different time periods.


After the Blackhawk albums I listened to Miles and Quincy Live at Montreux Jazz Festival which was recorded in 1991 and released in 1993. It was Quincy Jones conducting the Gil Evans Orchestra with Miles Davis as the featured performer. A very different big band style after hearing the small group combo of the previous album I'd been listening to today. I also recently saw that Davis was seriously ill when he recorded this concert and died three months later.


The third set of live music from Miles Davis today was Live at the Fillmore East 1970: It's About That Time. This was part of the Bootleg Series. It was recorded in March 1970 and was released in 2001. This was also the last show with Wayne Shorter in the band which included Chick Corea, Dave Holland, Airto Moreira and Jack DeJohnette. This set of music was much different than the two previous shows I listened to today and he was playing a lot of music from Bitches Brew. I saw him a few months earlier on this tour where he was opening up for Neil Young and Crazy Horse.

One of the things I've liked about Miles Davis' music is how it has evolved and transformed over the years and decades and albums but has always retained his very distinctive sound and style.

I have a lot of Miles Davis in my collection including many live albums.


No comments: