Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Jackson Browne & Bruce Springsteen

It was early October 1973, I had just returned from a long deployment in the Caribbean and South America and was visiting family in Philadelphia when a friend suggested we go see some music. John was very excited about seeing this new singer songwriter named Jackson Browne whom I'd never heard of before as I had been overseas for most of the last three years. There was another act on the bill that he was vaguely familiar with but whom I had also never heard of before named Bruce Springsteen. The show was out at the Fieldhouse on the Villanova campus.

Bruce was the opening act and he certainly nailed it. Jackson Browne was wonderful too but no way could he follow the E Street Band back in 1973. I quickly went out and bought both their albums. John and I would see Bruce Springsteen five more times in 1974-1975. The Main Point twice, Widener College, and twice more at the Tower Theater. Every show was spectacular and very long too. 



No comments: