Thursday, October 19, 2023

Still More Nuts

This has become a banner years for black walnuts in our backyard. They still keep coming down. Every time I think they're done falling I hear more hitting the roof of the house or smacking down on the ground next to me while I'm out back cleaning up. 

I wrote about the nuts this year about ten days ago here. At that time I thought we had a lot of nuts on the ground and it was going to be a big year for the nuts. I had no idea. I've been going out to rake leaves and nuts almost every day since then and it keeps getting worse but I'm finally seeing the end in sight. I think. 

I've also had a very sore back this past week because of all the racking, picking up and bagging of the nuts. I fill a bag until it is heavy enough to be just able to carry the bag (or drag it) to the street for trash day pickup.

Today was trash day and I actually used the wheel barrel to carry two bags at a time out to the street. Since this was not a heavy pick up week and there were not a lot of people putting out leaves in the neighborhood yet I was hesitant to put too many bags of nuts/leaves on the street. I put eight bags out and there were two more in the trash tote container along with our regular trash. So that was a total today of 10 bags. They took everything. I still have a big pile of filled trash bags in the backyard ready to go.

This is the third trash day since I started bagging nuts. The first week I had 3 bags in the tote and another 4 by the street. The city emptied my tote but the bags stayed on the street along with some other people's bags. They sat there all week and I realized that they would be coming by at some point with the loader and dump truck. I added a few more bags and on the next trash day early in the morning they picked them all up.

Today I racked and packed up some more bags of nuts and leaves. Six more. That gives me a total of 46 so far and there are still a lot of piles in the way back and another huge pile near the back steps. I'm figuring I'll be passing my pervious record of 60 bags.

Our neighbor Pat just starting picking up the nuts in her backyard today. She just put about six or so bags of nuts on the street long after the trash was picked up today. I guess she is counting on the heavy pickup of leaves coming by soon. I should put a bunch more bags out there too if I see that a lot of neighbors are putting out more bags as the week goes on. I could easily put another dozen bags out there right now.

No comments: