Thursday, August 31, 2023

Taking Pictures

I went into my Google Photos this week to get a picture of the Trinity College Library for my Facebook cover photo when I saw that there were 700 photos in my album for our 2019 trip to Dublin, London and Edinburgh which was a little less than two weeks. I realized that I took about 30 times more pictures on that trip that I too during my entire 4 years of traveling around the world in the Navy. 

Through most of my life taking a picture took some thought and preparation. You needed to have your camera available and it had to be loaded with film. If you were going on a trip you had to make sure you had extra rolls of film too. Then of course you had to later on take the used film to a store to get processed and then wait until it was ready before you could see the pictures you took. Hopefully they turned out. 

One time I grabbed a roll of film and loaded it into my camera. I hadn't realized that it was a roll of film that had already been shot. When I got the pictures developed I was surprised to see all of the double exposures. I was upset at the time for my stupidity but many years later they are actually interesting to look at.

So these days I am constantly taking pictures with my phone camera. All the time. It's been fun to actually have a camera with you all the time because now days we seem to have our phones with us all the time. I take pictures of everything... well except people in social situations unless they are our grandchildren. I'm not the only one taking pictures all the time. I often sees folks on Facebook posting dozens of pictures of an event or gathering. Yes, we all usually take multiple pictures of a situation but that doesn't mean you need to post every single one of them. So many similar pictures over and over. I usually only post one or two at a time about anything.

I take lots of pictures of our garden and many of Becky's nice dinners. When we go out to dinner I often take a picture of our meal and sometimes the restaurant itself if there is something interesting. 

One of the things I like about taking pictures with my phone camera is the instant gratification of seeing the photo immediately. I can also take multiple shots to later determine the best one. All of my pictures go straight to my Google Photos app in he cloud where I have editing tools and folders to organize the photos. I can also do some basic editing right on my phone. It sure makes things easier. It's also nice to be able to directly share the photos in your cloud app.

Young people coming up today with this photo and video technology are totally immersed in it.

No comments: