Thursday, August 10, 2023

Robbie Robertson RIP

Robbie Robertson, the lead guitarist and songwriter for The Band passed away this week. He was 80 years old. It seems like I've been writing up a few of these posts recently for deceased musicians. I first heard about him as the lead guitar player for Bob Dylan when he went electric. That was such a big deal at the time and there were many articles and stories about Dylan's move to a new sound of folk rock and of course I was reading everything I could get my hands on. I had certainly been aware of Dylan in the early 60's but it was after his motorcycle accident and his recovery time in upstate NY that I really started to listen to him. His new guitar player certainly helped and also his new backup band... The Band. Actually they started out being Dylan's back up band as The Hawks.

Then it was the Music From Big Pink album released in mid 1968. Then I saw them in concert in 1969 in Philly and then Chicago in 1970. In 1973 I saw them at that one day show in Watkins Glen NY with the Grateful Dead and the Allman Brothers Band. A year later I saw the 1974 tour of Bob Dylan and The Band together on stage in Philadelphia at the Spectrum. That was spectacular. It was also one of the last times I went to a hockey arena for a rock concert.

Later on in 1994 Becky and I saw The Band minus Robbie Robertson along with Blue Rodeo and some other Canadian bands and a Canadian Invasion concert down at Griffis Sculpture Park in Ashford Hollow.

With the death of Robbie Robertson the only remaining member of The Band is the old guy in the band Garth Hudson.

The Band albums in my collection

  • Music From Big Pink, 1968
  • The Band, 1969
  • Stage Fright, 1970
  • Cahoots, 1971
  • Rock Of Ages (Live), 1972
  • Moondog Matinee, 1973
  • Planet Waves w/Bob Dylan, 1974
  • Before The Flood (Live) w/Bob Dylan, 1974
  • The Basement Tapes w/Bob Dylan, 1975
  • Northern Lights Southern Cross, 1975
  • Islands, 1977
  • The Last Waltz (Live), 1978
  • To Kingdom Come: The Definitive Collection, 1989
  • Jericho, 1993
  • Live At Watkins Glen 1973, 1995
  • High On The Hog, 1996
  • Live At The Academy Of Music 1971, 2013
Robbie Robertson Solo Albums
  • Robbie Robertson, 1987
  • Storyville, 1991
  • Classic Masters, 2002
  • How To Become Clairevoyant, 2011

No comments: