Saturday, August 12, 2023

Broken Laptop

The hinge on my Dell laptop has broken. Nothing like that has ever happened to any of my laptops over the years and I've had about a dozen of them going back to the early 1990's. So I wonder how this happened now. I certainly do use it a lot but I never do anything that could possibly break the hinge. It just sits on the table all the time. It's not like I'm traveling with it and stressing it in various situations. 

I went online and researched the problem and discovered that it is more common with Dell laptops than I would have imagined. I found lots of discussions about the broken hinge causing lots of other issues such as problems with the video because of the wiring going from the main part of the laptop to the screen. I also watched some videos of technicians attempting to fix the broken hinges.

There have been some issues with the video images on my laptop recently. I had been thinking the problems were caused by ongoing issues with memory and storage but now I know it could possibly be caused by the video signal being interrupted between the hard drive and the screen.

I'm not sure what I can do about this problem. I'm being very careful with the screen and pressing the hinge together whenever I see it starting to gape open. One thing for sure is that if I need to buy another laptop it won't be a Dell.

No comments: