Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Sandy Denny

I was reading a lot about Sandy Denny recently which really made me want to listen to some of her music this week. I have a lot of her albums in my collection including some compilations and live material along with some of her solo albums and of course a lot of Fairport Convention during her time in that band.

First I was reading Richard Thompson's memoir Beeswing: Losing My Way and Finding My Voice 1967-1975 which covered his years with Fairport Convention. Then I read Joe Boyd's wonderful memoir White Bicycles: Making Music in the 1960's which also covered a lot of Sandy Denny's career and tragic life. It made me want to read more about her so I lined up an e-book to read from NYCPL that I will start next week. No More Sad Refrains: The Life and Times of Sandy Denny by Clinton Heylin. In the meantime I've been listening to a lot of her music from my collection.

  • No More Sad Refrains: The Anthology, 2000
  • I've Always Kept A Unicorn: The Acoustic Sandy Denny, 2016
  • Gold Dust: Live at the Royalty (The Final Concert), 1998
  • The North Star Grassman and The Ravens, 1971
  • Sandy, 1972
  • Like An Old Fashioned Waltz, 1974
  • Rendezvous, 1977

I first heard her music when I was in high school and there was a friend from the neighborhood, John Halligan,  who was into Irish and British folk music a lot. I would go over to his house and he would play these amazing albums including the first several Fairport Convention records. Sandy Denny appeared on a couple of them. Then I was off to four years in the Navy where I didn't hear anymore Sandy Denny. In 1974 I was living in our house on Seymour Street with John Howley who was another big Sandy Denny fan. He had a bunch of her albums which we played a lot on the stereo. We went to see her perform at the Main Point. I had also seen Fairport Convention perform in 1968 but I don't think Sandy Denny was with them at that particular time. I would see her once more in 1974 at the Irvine Auditorium when she came to town with Fairport Convention during her brief reunion with that band.

Now back to more music from Sandy Denny.

No comments: