Friday, July 29, 2022

The Monkey Wrench Gang

The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey, 1975 

Well, I finally read this book during the last of week of July 2022. It has been on my to read list since the late 1970's. I remember it being discussed in an American Studies class in 1978 as an entertaining example of the early radical environmental movement.

The book was so popular that eventually the term "monkeywrench" has come to mean any damage or sabotage to machines, activism or law-breaking to preserve environmental spaces, wildernesses, and eco-systems. It was also an interesting perspective of the Vietnam War veteran returning to the environmental devastation of his homeland in the western deserts. It was a very entertaining book.

During the time when this book came out and I put in on my to read list I was taking part in environmental and anti-nuclear power demonstrations. I was a college student at the time and took part in the activities of the Keystone Alliance. I was also an office volunteer at the anti-nuclear and safe energy group Mobilization for Survival in downtown Philly. Most of the time I worked on the mailing list. I did that for about a year and then we moved to Buffalo. I remember I did a lot of work for the anti-nuclear group the Keystone Alliance and demonstrated against nuclear reactor power plants and in particular the local Three Mile Island plant. It felt really crazy when on the morning of March 28, 1979 there was the partial meltdown at the plant. 

No comments: