Thursday, July 7, 2022

Songs 1983

Recently I was doing some reorganization of mixes, putting them in directories on my hard drive and making backup copies on portable drives. Over the years I've made many mixes based on particular years ranging from 1956 until when I stopped accumulating new music in 2016. Each mix was about an hour long and were focused on the music in my collection released in a particular year. Some years had more mixes than others. They were not best of mixes or attempts to provide an overview of the music released that year. They were all very personal and solely based on music in my collection from the year and it had to be music that made a significant impression on me. Lots of deep cuts too.

Well, I then realized I never made mixes for the years 1983 and 1985. I was surprised because those years were during the time when I was spinning records in a bar and must have just not gotten around to doing those years which were also very well represented in my collection.

So in late June I began working on the Songs 1983 mixes and I knew this was going to take some time. As usual I started with a playlist in iTunes from my collection and opened up a search for the year in music. That process was always my starting point. I also opened up Wikipedia for the year in music which gave me a focus and helped me narrow down the music to just what was in my collection but it was good to see what I was omitting too. 

I really did have a lot of music from 1983 and I was enjoying going back and listening to some of the music that I hadn't heard in awhile. Lots of old favorites too. 

Also during my recent reorganization I was coming across a lot of old mixes that I had put through the Audacity file editor to create blended mixes. I had done a lot of that back when I was uploading mix files to Mixcloud. I decided to do that again for these new mixes I was making for Songs 1983 but that will be later in the process. Right now I'm going through the year and creating a group of mixes a little over an hour long. 

When I get back from our vacation in the Adirondacks I'll focus more on this project and then when it is finished I'll move on to 1985. 

Update: The Songs 1983 Mix List

No comments: