Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Veterans Day Post

This is a copy of a social media post I made to a Navy veterans group today.


Happy Veterans Day. This is the USS Little Rock which was my flagship for a couple of Med cruises in the early 1970's. It's now at the Buffalo Naval and Serviceman's Park along with the USS The Sullivans and the USS Croaker which is about 10 minutes from my home. I walk through that park many times throughout the year and I have annually gone onboard the Little Rock to salute the flag on the quarterdeck, walk around and pay my respects. I always make sure I go to the berthing areas, the engine room, the mess decks and the dental office.

The first time I was on the Little Rock was in the Bay of Naples in 1972. I needed some dental work done and I took a boat from my ship, the USS Plymouth Rock which was anchored in the bay over to the Little Rock. I went up the ladder to the quarterdeck, saluted the flag and was taken to the dental office where I sat down in the chair and had two wisdom teeth removed. That chair is still there and every year I look at that chair remembering that day in 1972.


This year access to the ships has been closed because of the pandemic. I was down there a few times but no one could go onboard. Directly across the pier from the ships is one of my favorite area pub restaurants the aptly named Liberty Hound which specializes in seafood and local craft brews. I love sitting there on the patio gazing at the ships, the waterfront and Lake Erie. I always stop there for a couple of beers after my annual visit to the Little Rock and often have conversations with many old salts who come to town to visit the ships.

If you are ever in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area visiting the Naval Park drop me a text and we can have a beer together at the Liberty Hound.


No comments: