Sunday, November 29, 2020

Reading About Dylan

 

I've read a lot about Bob Dylan over the years and I'm reading another one now. This particular book The Dylan Companion was published in 1990. It's a compilation of commentary writings on Dylan from all phases of his career up until the time of publication. That means of course a second volume is needed.

Some of the people in this book writing about Dylan included Pauline Kael, Robert Christgau, Joan Baez, Lester Bangs, Ken Kesey, Allen Ginsberg, Kurt Loder and many others. Over fifty pieces are included in the book. Enjoying this very much.

Probably the best book written about Dylan was the one he wrote himself. Chronicles: Volume One came out in 2004 and I read it in September 2005.  It was a remarkable book and reflection on life that jumped all over the place. 

Still waiting for Volume Two. In the meantime I've been reading several other books about Dylan.  In August of 1975 I read my first biography of him... Bob Dylan: A Biography by Anthony Scaduto that was published in 1972. I've also read some books about his song lyrics.

Revolution in the Air: The Songs of Bob Dylan, 1957-1973 by Clinton Heylin, 2009. I read it in September 2010.

Still on the Road: The Songs of Bob Dylan, 1974-2006 by Clinton Heylin, 2010. I read it in February 2012

Bob Dylan All the Songs: The Story Behind Every Track by Philippe Margotin, 2015. I finished it in November 2017 but this is the kind of book I keep handy and have referred to it a lot of the past few years.

One other interesting Dylan related book was Grown-Up Anger: The Connected Mysteries of Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie, and the Calumet Massacre of 1913 by Daniel Wolff, 2017 which I read in September 2017. This book deserves it's on post.






No comments: