Monday, November 30, 2020

Sonny Rollins - Morning Listening

I was listening to some Sonny Rollins this morning and it got me thinking how much I love his music and the deep sound of his tenor saxophone. The album I had on was Sonny Rollins with The Modern Jazz Quartet from 1956. It really is a wonderful album. 

I would put Sonny Rollins in the Parthenon of jazz tenor sax players. Whenever I've made a jazz mix I've always made sure there was some Sonny Rollins.

Most of the Sonny Rollins albums in my collection are compilation collections based on record labels. I only have a few of his regular studio albums and only one live recording album which was the double CD Night at the Village Vanguard recorded in 1957.

Here is a list of Sonny Rollins albums in my collection.

  • The Bridge
  • Sonny Rollins with The Modern Jazz Quartet
  • There Will Never Be Another You
  • The Best of Sonny Rollins: The Blue Note Years,
  • The Essential Sonny Rollins: The RCA Years, 2 CDs
  • The Freelance Years, 5 CDs
  • A Night at the Village Vangard, 2 CDs
  • Prestige Profiles: Sonny Rollins

No comments: