Friday, November 13, 2020

Record Store Memories - Sly

On a November Saturday afternoon in 1967 I was browsing the bins at one of my favorite record stores a few blocks from my house in the Germantown section of Philadelphia. There were probably about ten people in the store looking at records. The store clerk was playing music on the turntable and was talking with some customers. Then he said I got something here that came in yesterday that you should hear. He put on Dance to the Music by Sly & The Family Stone. Nobody in the store had heard it before and it was like an electric bolt shot through the space. Within moments there were people dancing in the aisles. Everybody who was in that store at that time bought a copy of that single... including me.

The record was released and in stores on Friday November 17th so this incident happened on Saturday November 18, 1967

No comments: