Saturday, November 7, 2020

Jubilation Day

The day they announced the election of Joe Biden as president was the end of the Trump era. It was also one of the most joyful days for our nation in my lifetime. There was perfect weather on a sunny warm Saturday afternoon throughout the country and people came out by the thousands in every city to dance in the streets all day and well into the night.

Our neighborhood had church bells ringing, block parties, cars hooting, flags waving and as we walked home from the park neighbors greeted us with Happy Jubilation Day! I wore my Phillies hat too.

The day started out as another stressful morning watching the news and waiting for something to happen. We are anticipated the election would be called for Biden but nothing was official. I went out in the yard to work on the garden. While out there sometime after 11 but before noon I heard church bells ringing. I wondered about it and then I heard more from another church in the neighborhood. I first thought it must have been a wedding but so many churches had bells ringing. I didn't think about the election. Then I walked out to the front of the house. Our neighbors were working on their porch and Jody exclaimed when she saw me did I hear they called the election for Biden? No but I heard the church bells was my reply. Then we heard some cheers from around the block and cars beeping. 

Becky had also just come home from a visit to the Burchfield Center with her friend Barbara. They heard about the announcement when Barb's sister texted her with the news while they were in the gallery.

A little while latter Becky and I went for a walk through Delaware Park and back through the neighborhood. We saw people driving around beeping horns and we greeted by neighbors happy about the election results recently announced.

Later in the evening there was a text fest with our family.

No comments: