Monday, September 16, 2024

Another Album Challenge

Today I was challenged by an old friend SallyAnne Syberg to choose 20 albums that greatly influenced my taste in music. One album per day for 20 consecutive days. No explanations, no reviews (unless you ask), just covers. I've participated in many of these types of album challenges over the past fifteen years or so and I went back and looked at a few of my responses which was interesting. Each time things were a little different.

I'm going to do this challenge but once again it will be a little different. Over the past few years I've been deeply exploring my album collection using various points of interest which are sometimes random but often very focused. I've also been reorganizing the albums up on the third floor. Recently I've been exploring my collection by year and creating new mixes of songs from a selected year that included both hits and very deep cuts. So for this album challenge I will explore the first 20 years of my collecting albums and and choose a record from each year that influenced my taste in music.

But once again I will discuss the album instead of the by rote somewhat standard album challenge of just posting an album cover without any explanation. So over the next month or so I will post an album from 1966 to 1986 that were important to me. These were the years I was collecting vinyl records. I got a few singles earlier in 1965 but 1966 was the year I became focused on albums. In the 80's I was working spinning records in bars and had greatly expanded my collection.

I may go beyond the challenge and post a list of my important albums in my collection from each of those years. We'll see.

No comments: