Sunday, September 29, 2024

Album Challenge - 1969 pt. 2 - Who Knows Where The Time Goes

The Album Challenge continues and Who Knows Where The Time Goes. I'm looking at 1969 again so it's pt. 2 and there are so many records to choose from in my collection but I'm going to look at something special from Fairport Convention. Who knows where the time goes indeed. They released three wonderful albums in 1969 and all of them have had in influence on my music taste. Part of that is because two of my favorite singer songwriter band members are playing on these albums and they are Richard Thompson and Sandy Denny. The albums are Fairport Convention, Unhalfbricking and Liege & Lief. 

I had a friend and classmate in the neighborhood who was very much into early English folk music in the mid 1960's and by the late 60's I was going over to his house where he played his albums for me from bands like Pentangle, The Incredible String Band, Steeleye Span and Fairport Convention and lots of imports. He was really into it and I quickly became a fan too. 

I would see Fairport Convention several times back in the day in 1969 and 1970 and the last concert was in 1975 when Sandy Denny rejoined the band. I also attended solo shows from both Sandy Denny and Richard Thompson. 

Just this past year I read two biographies of Sandy Denny and also Richard Thompson's memoir Beeswax. Another fascinating book I read recently that contained a lot of information on Denny, Thompson and Fairport was from the producer and manager Joe Boyd memoir White Bicycles

Fairport Convention and their various spinoffs has been a wonderful influence on my music taste for many years.

No comments: