Wednesday, June 19, 2024

James Chance RIP

Last night before going to bed I heard of the passing of James Chance at the age of 71. He was one crazy musician... a saxophonist, keyboard player and vocalist in his unique style of avant-jazz-funk-punk no wave. Now I got to go upstairs and play some of that great sounding vinyl on my turntable.

During my years (1982-1986) spinning records at the Pastime Lounge I would often play two of his vinyl albums in my collection. The James White & The Blacks record was always a hit on the dance floor. 

The only other bars I regularly heard James Chance being played back in the 80's was the Old Pink and the Continental. 

James Chance in my collection:

  • No New York, 1978
  • Buy The Contortions, 1979
  • James White & The Blacks - Off White, 1979
  • Lost Chance, 1981
  • Irresistible Impulse, 2003 (4 CD)
  • Sax Education, 2004
  • Soul Exorcism, 1991 Redux Version, 2007


No comments: