Wednesday, May 31, 2023

The Daughter of Doctor Moreau

The Daughter of Doctor Moreau by Silvia Moreno-Garcia, 2022

I just finished this new book based on the H.G. Wells 1896 science fiction novel The Island of Doctor Moreau. 

I read the original book by H.G. Wells back in the early 1960's when I was discovering science fiction. I also loved the early 1932 film adaptation of the book The Island of Lost Souls and then later the 1977 film The Island of Doctor Moreau. I think I may need to watch one of these films again and even go back and read the original novel. I have been reading some other books by H.G. Wells recently.

I enjoyed this book very much and read it in about ten days. It took a little longer because I was reading in on my tablet and most of the time I couldn't read it outside during the day because of the bright sunshine. It has been wonderful weather this past week and I spent a lot of time on the porch or the backyard reading in between longs sessions of gardening. I had a paper copy of some Sherlock Holmes to read during those times of outside sun glare. Most of my reading of this book was in the evenings and before bed.

So this book was a very interesting science fiction tale and historical drama that takes place in the Yucatan peninsula region of Mexico during a period of war and strife between the Mexicans and the Maya Indians of the area. This conflict is an important part of the story. It is also a story about moral choices. And a mad scientist too.

No comments: