Friday, January 6, 2023

The New Bird Feeder vs The Squirrels

Sean and Ashely got us a new bird feeder for Christmas this year. They know how much we enjoy watching the birds at our feeders outside our kitchen window. Unfortunately it was squirrel proof enough for our backyard. I put bird feeder up. First hanging from the hook on the back porch which did work out too well. The squirrels quickly showed up and swarmed over it. Then suddenly they were fighting. There were four of them going crazy and attacking each other because the bird seed was so easy for them to get. It was somewhat entertaining but all the birds sat around nearby and watched the fracas while waiting for their turn at the feeder. I should have taken some pictures of the battle of the squirrels but it was all happening so fast. 

I took the feeder down and then put it up again on the hook on the back of the shed. That worked ok for awhile and the cardinals were enjoying the bird seed but then the squirrels found it again. They climbed down the bungy cord and got on to the feeder and stayed there eating. I tried a few different configurations of different bungy cords but the result was always the same. I was also afraid that the squirrels would knock down the feeder and break it. That has happened before.

We needed something a little more squirrel proof. I looked around the basement and the shed to see if I could gimcrack something together. I also looked online for some solutions. Becky ordered an inexpensive squirrel shield. We'll see how that works out when it arrives.

No comments: