Monday, January 30, 2023

In The Past - Songs 1968

This is the first of 18 mixes of music in my collection from 1968 that will be eventually posted here and on Spotify. Each mix is a little over an hour and a half and were recently reworked from existing mixes that go back several decades. Once again these are all very personal selections and reflect my love of popular music... and some not so popular although this particular set is radio friendly.

1968 was an important year for my music life because my album collection probably doubled that year. I was also regularly going to see live music in several venues around the city which was easy to do because of the great public transportation system in Philadelphia. I had a job as a machine shop helper that gave me the money to buy records and go to shows which I did several times a month in local clubs like The Electric Factory, Trauma, The 2nd Fret, Kaleidoscope and The Main Point. I also attended the first couple of Quaker City Rock Festival shows that year at the recently opened Spectrum Arena in South Philly.

The first song in this set was from the only album in my collection that I purchased for the sole reason that I liked the album cover and had not heard of the band or the music. It turned out I did know some of the songs from an earlier album but not this one. I found the record in one of our neighborhood head shops near my house in an album rack surrounded by bongs and peasant shirts for sale. This album became one of my favorites. Here is a link to this mix on Spotify.
 
In The Past - Songs 1968

  1. In The Past – The Chocolate Watch Band
  2. Om – The Moody Blues
  3. On The Road Again – Canned Heat
  4. Wasn’t Born To Follow – The Byrds
  5. The Weight – The Band
  6. I Put A Spell On You – Creedence Clearwater Revival
  7. Those Were The Days – Cream
  8. Season Of The Witch – Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper & Steve Stills
  9. Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) – Terry Reid
  10. You Shook Me – Jeff Beck Group
  11. Gypsy Eyes – The Jimi Hendrix Experience
  12. Piece Of My Heart – Big Brother & The Holding Company
  13. I’m So Tired – The Beatles
  14. Pearly Queen – Traffic
  15. I Got A Line On You – Spirit
  16. Cry Like A Baby – The Box Tops
  17. Midnight Confession – The Grass Roots
  18. Bend Me, Shape Me – American Breed
  19. Valleri – The Monkees
  20. Elenore – The Turtles
  21. Build Me Up Buttercup – The Foundations
  22. Baby Come Back – The Equals
  23. Time Of The Season – The Zombies
  24. Sky Pilot - Eric Burdon & The Animals
  25. Safe As Milk - Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band

No comments: