Friday, December 9, 2022

Wearing Jewelry

For men that is. I was reading a novel today and their was a description of a man in the book wearing lots jewelry including gold chains around his neck, bracelets, rings and a fancy watch. The main detective character said he doesn't like it when men wear jewelry. Me neither. 

I started thinking about the times in my life when I wore something that might be considered men's jewelry. Not very often. I do wear my wedding ring and haven't taken it off in decades. Probably the thing I wore around my neck more than anything else was my military dog tags. Not exactly jewelry. Then I wore a medic alert bracelet for a few years. OK, I wore a watch off and on over the years but generally tried to avoid it when I could. I haven't worn one at all since I retired and overall didn't wear one much when I worked in libraries because there were wall clocks on the walls everywhere you looked.

Back in the late 1960's I briefly wore a peace sign on a chain. I still have it but I haven't wore it in over 50 years. I also still have my high school class ring from North Catholic class of 1969. Never wore that very much. Sometime in the late 70's or very early 80's my mom gave me a ring that belonged to my grandfather. I wore that for a couple of years and then stopped. I should pass that on to a grandson.

So that's about it. No gold chains around my neck. No ear rings either. I never got an ear pierced. No religious stuff. I never did wear a cross although for maybe a week or so as a kid I did wear a scapula when a nun at school told us that anyone who died while wearing one would go directly to heaven regardless of whatever they had done in their life. The scapula was awkward to wear but I knew some kids who wore them all through grade school. Not exactly jewelry.

I always found it amusing to see sports guys with lots of jewelry or musicians for that matter but then of course rappers took it all to a whole other level.

Maybe I should mention tie clips. I've always worn a tie clip when I was wearing a tie so I guess you could call that men's jewelry and I wore it regularly. I'm surprised I had all this stuff in the photo stashed away in my bedroom drawer.

No comments: