Thursday, December 15, 2022

Rainy December Breakfast

It's a cold rainy December morning and I'm fortunate that Becky did some food shopping yesterday so I'm having one of my favorite breakfast meals. A very fresh toasted and buttered sesame bagel and then spread with a nice layer of sunflower seed butter. I have a pot brewing of delicious English breakfast tea that I drink with a dash of milk. I'm also craving a banana from the bunch sitting across the room.

While I'm enjoying this breakfast I have nice playlist of assorted classical music on the stereo in the kitchen. I especially like cello music in the morning.

Over the years my breakfast eating habits have not changed much. Most of the time these days I have a couple of pieces of toast and if I'm lucky we will have some raisin bread in the house. I'll eat that with some butter on it but if it is regular bread for toast then I will sometimes have some raspberry jam on it or some nut butter that is usually almond butter or sunflower seed butter. Occasionally I will have a bowl of cereal. My favorite is usually an oats & honey granola type cereal with a little crunch. I've never been one to have a big breakfast of eggs and meat, etc. Well, sometimes on special occasions or on the road.

Since we have retired our daily breakfast has been a very relaxing start to our day most of the time and especially during these pandemic years. Becky goes to her studio every day but that happens sometime between 10 and 10:30 so before that we sit around together and enjoy our breakfast. It certainly wasn't always like that especially when the kids were in school. There was a period when one or both of them needed to be at the bus stop by 7:15 am each morning. We would be happy if some year it changed to 7:30. Later when I was working at Canisius College I would often drop them off at City Honors and then get to work a little after 8 am. I usually started at 8:30. Sometimes I would get a little breakfast at the Tim Horton's on campus which was actually in the library building where I worked. I would try to limit myself to a muffin and no donuts.

Back when I was a kid we mostly ate hot cereal every morning during the school year. We would all be sitting around the kitchen table while our mom frantically cooked up the cereal. Dad had already left for work earlier. We ate these Gerber breakfast cereals in small boxes with a baby on the front cover. There were different flavors and each one had a separate color box. I'm talking very early grade school here and later we would eat regular sweet cereal as we got older. There was always a sugar bowl nearby for dumping more sugar on these already pre-sweetened kids cereals. That certainly revved us up for school.

On Sunday mornings mom slept in and Dad took us to church for Sunday Mass. During the school year we had to attend mass with our class. Then he made us pancakes. It was a Sunday ritual for many years.

So now in my old age it's bagels or toast but mostly toast.

No comments: