Saturday, June 4, 2022

Tom @ 8 Years

Of course Facebook reminded me today that my brother Tom passed away eight years ago today. I was thinking about him just yesterday because I saw a picture of my grandson Andrew pushing a toy lawnmower and something about his look, the turn of the head, the posture, that reminded me immediately of Tom. He really looked like him in the photo and it was enough that I sent a copy of it out on our sibling chat. I think everyone agreed. Cathy asked if I looked for a white spot in Andrew's hair like Tom had as a little kid.

That day eight years ago still remains vivid in my mind. I had just talked with him on the phone a few days before and we made plans to have dinner together at a restaurant downtown. I had made reservations for the day after we were to arrive in town. Becky and I spent this day driving down to Philly and arrived at Betsy's house in the late afternoon. Our dinner with Tom would be the next day but when we got out of the car Betsy had the sad and surprising news that Tom had passed away that morning. Dan had found him dead in his bed.

So instead of going out to dinner with him we had an Irish Wake and then a funeral home viewing a few days later. He certainly had a lot of people that came by for the viewing at the Chestnut Hill funeral home down the street from his bar. 

We would have another memorial service for him several months later. 

No comments: