Thursday, June 30, 2022

The Other Anniversary This Week

Becky and I are going out to dinner tonight to celebrate our 42nd wedding anniversary that was two days ago. I did a Facebook post for the anniversary but instead of putting up our usual wedding pictures or other photos of us as a couple I posted a series of pictures of us with our grandchildren. I did that because I feel very grateful to have been able to experience our grandchildren.

It was 33 years ago today that I underwent a lifesaving brain surgery to put a titanium clip on an aneurysm that the surgeon later told us was ready to rupture. The operation went well except for a reaction to the anesthesia triggered by Malignant Hyperthermia that caused a rapid increase in body temperature. I woke up shivering in the ICU packed in ice. Not fun. Becky was very relieved when I recognized her right away and was able to answer questions from the doctors. It was nice to get out of the hospital by the holiday weekend.

Throughout my early adult life I never expected to live to an old age or to know my grandchildren because of that potential brain aneurysm that I always felt was lurking there in my head. Well, it turned out there were several of them but the big one was clipped and the others have been closely monitored over the years. I'm up to 22 brain scans and counting.

My grandfather, George J. Emery, 1897-1950, had 34 grandchildren but only lived long enough to see one of them. My father, George J. Emery, 1922-1970, had 9 grandchildren but died before any of them were born. Brain aneurysms have been a curse in my family. Fortunately medical science had improved enough that I was able to survive early adulthood and make it into my 60's and 70's and to enjoy time with my grandchildren. It is very important to me to be having this experience when my father and grandfather did not. Next week in Long Lake will be very special for me to be with my children and grandchildren.

No comments: