Thursday, June 16, 2022

Frank Zappa and Mahavishnu Orchestra at the Spectrum


One of my favorite concerts of the 1970's was seeing John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra opening up for Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention at The Spectrum in Philadelphia in April of 1973. This was another show I saw with John while I was home on a weekend leave that year. It was a great show and the two bands were co-billed although Zappa closed the night. I had been a fan of John McLaughlin since about 1969 in his earlier bands and of course Frank Zappa since late 1966 when I got Freak Out when it was released.

This was the only time I saw the Mahavishnu Orchestra but I did see John McLaughlin with his band Shakti in November 1977 with Becky. I did see Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention two times earlier. At the Electric Factory rock club in downtown Philly in 1968 and the at the Atlantic City Pop Festival in 1969. 

I almost forgot we saw John Hammond at this show. I saw him several times perform over the years at The Main Point and Philly Folk Festival.

No comments: