Saturday, July 31, 2021

Pandemic Office

Most of the time I've sat at our kitchen table with my laptop but for the past year or so I've been spending a lot of my pandemic time enjoying our backyard through the screened in sunroom of our cabana in what has turned out to be my second office or what I've also called my pandemic office. 

I spend a lot of time in that space reading, writing, exploring my music collection, and listening to tunes on the stereo. Sometimes I have the music playing loud and sometimes I'm wearing headphones. Sometimes I read there in the quiet listening to the birds. This goes on during all the seasons. 

Right now I have a fan in the room for those really hot days and over the past winter I had a heater in there for those really cold days. The majority of the time I need neither. There is often a breeze coming through the screened windows in the summer and sun coming through the sealed windows in the winter that really make the space a sunroom.

Last night I spent a wonderful evening back there. It was a little chilly but very comfortable in the cabana. I sat in my office chair at the table with my laptop and wrote for several hours while sipping a couple of beers with some classical music on the stereo. It was an amazing sunset and everything about the evening was nice. I stayed out there until almost 10 PM. It was very dark. I sat in that room with the party lights lit and by the end of the night I couldn't see anything in the backyard.  The screens also protected me from any bugs throughout the evening. It really was very pleasant and I like having that option to sit out there any evening. I should add that I also sit out there many afternoons too but it is nice to have several options like sitting further out in the yard in one of our chairs or sitting on the front porch although there I mostly just read... and greet neighbors walking by.

We are fortunate to have these spaces especially during this time of pandemic.

I've written several times about using this space. Backyard RefugeWinter Refuge, and Sunny Backyard.

No comments: