Thursday, July 29, 2021

Beg Scream & Shout

Beg Scream & Shout: The Big Ol' Box of '60's Soul - Various Artists, 1997.

For the past several day Becky and I have been listening to this 6 CD box set of 144 classic '60's soul songs every evening at dinner time. It's a great collection and we have been enjoying it very much all week. I have it on iTunes so it just keeps playing. 

This set plays like a mixed tape of soul music and I have certainly used many of the songs here on my mixes. One of the interesting things about this collection is that the people putting this together did not usually pick the best known or most popular song from a particular artist. There are plenty of well known artists here but often the song in the set are more obscure or deeper cuts from their catalog. There are also lots of obscure artist and many rarities which makes for a very satisfying listen with some familiar songs but often not.

I certainly already had many songs in this collection and dozens of them I had as singles I got as a teenager. I've collected many soul compilations over the years but the depth and breath of this collection made it impossible to pass it by.

I also liked having the original versions here of songs that would be made popular by rock musicians of another era such as

  • Cry Baby - Garnet Mimms
  • You're No Good - Betty Everette
  • Piece of My Heart - Emma Franklin
  • Tainted Love - Gloria Jones
  • I Can't Stand It - The Soul Sisters
Overall a great collection. It's been a while since I listened to the collection all the way through and I'm looking forward to hearing the last hour or so tomorrow.

No comments: