Friday, June 4, 2021

Night Out... finally

I lost my brother Tom 7 years ago today and I needed to have a beer with him. He was a bartender most of his adult life and I wanted to go someplace where he would be comfortable so Becky and I had dinner and brews at one of our favorite nearby bars. Cajun meatloaf with gumbo for me and shrimp po’boy for Becky. A pint of Ithaca Flower Power too.

This was our first night out together since last fall. That's a lot of time between going out for dinner. Before the pandemic we had been going out about twice a week. It was a regular thing for us that was abruptly cut out of our lives.

So today we decided to go out for dinner and have a couple of beers. We originally were heading over to the Steer for dinner but the parking lot was full, there were no parking spaces in the nearby streets and the bar itself looked crowded. We drove up the street to Shango which initially looked closed but turned out to have just opened. We had a wonderful dinner there in a booth near the open garage door at the front of the restaurant. There was a breeze and we were very comfortable. It felt good to be out again even though I was sad about Tom.

No comments: