Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Joni's Blue @ 50

Joni Mitchell's album Blue is 50 years old. It was released on June 22, 1971. I saw her being interviewed on TV and in magazines before I realized the anniversary was this month. There was also a large display on Times Square. So I started listening to Joni again and put Blue on the stereo. First I played it from my iTunes, then I went upstairs and played the vinyl LP and eventually I put on the CD. The album sounded great in every format.

There was also a wonderful article about Joni and Blue in the NY Times where a group of musicians and artist talked about the album and when the first heard it. I remember first hearing it from a cassette that someone was playing on my ship back when the album was released in 1971. 

I've also gone back to reading her biography Restless Daughter which I stared in 2017 but for some unknown reason never finished. I was given the book as a gift and probably went on to read something from the library knowing I could pick up the bio at any time and continue reading. Well, I'm reading it now and will definitely finish it. Actually I started it from the beginning again and have been really enjoying it.

I also plan to do a Joni Mitchell mega mix and have started putting together songs to be included. The mix will included her songs from across her career, live cuts, covers of her songs by other artists, artists that have been influenced by her, artists that have influenced her, other songs from her peak time periods, songs from Laural Canyon, etc. The mix will be structured with sets. Looking forward to getting going with it.

No comments: