Sunday, June 20, 2021

Father's Day - Being a Grandfather

Happy Father's Day. Especially to my son Sean and son-in-law Todd. I feel very fortunate and happy to be able to spend whatever time I can with our 3 grandchildren. My father (1st pic) died young and never got to meet any of his 10 grandchildren. My grandfather (2nd pic) also died young and only met 1 of his 34 grandchildren. My maternal grandfather died very young too. I feel good to be approaching 70 years old and can be that grandfather that my father and grandfathers couldn't be.

Both of the pictures here were taken at a family wedding of one of my father's brothers in June 1950. My grandfather died a few months later. My father died in July 1970 some twenty years later.

My grandfather was George J. Emery Sr, my father was George J. Emery Jr, and then I was technically George J. Emery III. I didn't need to use any suffix to my name because by the time I was an adult I was the only George J. Emery. I do remember my father still signing his name as George J. Emery Jr. many years after his father died. The last time I saw my father he was waving at me at the airport as I boarded a plane for my next Navy duty station after being home for a two week leave.

This was also Sean's first Father's Day and we just had a chance to talk with him. We will see Sean, Ashley and Andrew in about three weeks. We plan to stop by their house on our way home from our Adirondack vacation in July. Looking forward to seeing our newest grandson Andrew after spending a week in Long Lake with Katie, Todd, Henry and Clara. I can't wait to be that grandfather.

No comments: