Friday, December 8, 2023

Waiting For The Sun - The Doors in Concert

Today is Jim Morrison's birthday so... here's another album, another concert, another artist. I was fortunate to see The Doors perform twice during their short career with Jim Morrison. In 1968 I saw them play The Arena at 46th and Market Street in West Philly. It was a great concert and The Doors were spectacular musicians. Especially Jim Morrison who was amazing although he did do some weird lizard king poetry rants. Then I saw them again at the same venue a year later in 1969. They were awful or I should say that Jim Morrison was drunk and incoherent on the stage. He was rude and crude and almost frightening. Was he pretentious? Yep. 

I was happy to have seen the good Jim Morrison but I also got to experience the bad Jim Morrison but that 1969 show was probably the worse concert I ever experienced.

I got the Waiting For The Sun album in the summer of 1968 and already had their first two albums. The Doors were certainly a big part of my later teenage years. How many times did we listen to Light My Fire.

Jim Morrison would be 80 years old today had he lived. He died in 1971 at the age of 27.  He supposedly died of a heroin overdose in Paris but there was no autopsy done to confirm the manner of death which of course led to conspiracy theories about how he died. 

No comments: