Monday, December 4, 2023

Happy Sad - Tim Buckley in Concert

I've always had a special place in my music soul for Tim Buckley. Happy Sad is a good title of an album to write about remembering the many times I saw him perform in concert including this album in 1969 at the Electric Factory. He always made me very happy when he performed with his unique voice and it makes me sad to think about him dying so young at the age of 28. I loved his early folk music but especially his later more challenging songs of the 1970's. It's staggering to think about the potential of his music he would have made throughout a long life had he survived his drug problems.  

I saw him at least six time between 1968 and 1974. Sometimes headlining shows at small folk clubs like the 2nd Fret and the Main Point. I also saw him open for big name rock bands at the Electric Factory and later again as headline at that same club. Also at the Philly Folk Festival and the Atlantic City Pop Festival. He was amazing and in my album collection I have all nine of his studio albums, three compilations and five live sets. I also have a nice various artists tribute album of his songs.

A few years ago I wrote about Tim Buckley here.

I also got to see his son Jeff Buckley in concert performing songs from his 1994 album Grace. Another lost talent at a young age.

No comments: