Thursday, January 20, 2022

National DJ Day

Never knew there was one but apparently January 20th every year is National DJ Day. I wish I had a picture of me working the sound booth at the Pastime Lounge. I really did enjoy my years behind the turntables. It was a lot of fun. 

I stopped spinning records in early 1987. It was getting to be too much working so late at night, sometimes until 4 am, and then getting up with a two year old. It was hard to sleep in. 

I really did miss it and making mixtapes helped me get by. I envisioned each mix as a session somewhere playing music for people. Back in the 60's I played records at parties but it was mostly arranging a stack of 45 singles on a turntable but I did go to parties with a box of records in hand.

Many years later I brought mixtapes to parties and also for some weddings including our own. I had made what I called an Adult Fun Mix for some of the weddings.

I had also taken up smoking again for a couple of years toward the end although I would only smoke during the time when I was working in the bar. I didn't smoke the first several years in the bar but I eventually succumbed. It was weird but I would go all week without a cigarette but on the night I was working in the bar spinning records I would smoke nearly a whole pack.

I also hated smelling like a smoky bar when I came home from work. It's hard to believe that people smoked so much in public spaces back then.

No comments: