Sunday, January 9, 2022

More Gumby

Our Gumby and Blockhead figures have been very popular with Henry and Clara. When we were scrambling to pack the car for our sudden trip to Philadelphia last week for the birth of our granddaughter Violet I threw Gumby and Blockhead into a bag for the day long ride. The kids were extremely happy when we brought them out to play with while their parents were spending three days in the hospital.

I previously wrote about Gumby and his popularity with the kids and his special place in so many of my beer pics. The kids were very excited to again be able to play with Gumby. Becky ordered a set of Gumby figures from Amazon that included Gumby, Pokey, Goo, Menga and Prickle. I'm thinking we may leave Blockhead here with them and just bring our Gumby home. It was interesting that she could not find a site that sold new figures of the Blockheads.

I recently found a Gumby website at gumbyworld.com that provided an extensive history of Gumby by creator Art Clokey that includes information about each character from the Gumby shows, lists and overviews of all the episodes from each decade, extensive information about Art Clokey, his studio and his family, the Gumby fan club and an ongoing blog. There was some information on their other project for a Christian organization that I remember as a kid. It was Davey and Goliath. Very hokey. There is also a lot of information for collectors of Gumby memorabilia. A very fascinating site.

I've been showing Henry and Clara some Gumby shows online. Clara in particular is very fascinated with Gumby. The first season from 1956 is now on Netflix and we've seen most of the episodes now. On YouTube other episodes from other years are randomly available.

I certainly remember watching Gumby shows when I was very little. I was probably around six or so when I started watching Gumby regularly. They originally ran in 1956 and 1957. In 1962 another group of episodes were on TV and went all through the decade with additional characters being added over the years. The Gumby show made a comeback in the mid 1980's and a movie was made in 1991. I played a lot of the later Gumby shows for my kids and along the way we got them the figures that I've been using in my photos.

No comments: