Monday, January 31, 2022

Tom Petty Live

I've been playing some of my live albums in that Random Album Effect of alphabetical order by title and I got to the Tom Petty Live Anthology which is a 4 CD box set released in 2009. This turned out to be one session of great music. It followed the Rick Danko Live Anthology and preceded a Dr. Dog set but it went on long enough to stand by itself.

I've always really loved Tom Petty's music. I have 21 of his albums in my collection including a couple of compilations and his previous live album from 1986. I'm sorry to say that I never got to personally see him live in concert. His death a few years ago was a sad shock. Becky used to listen to his show Buried Treasures a lot on Sirius Radio. She loved his humor when talking about the music he was playing on his show. Some of that came across on this album.

This live anthology album is a great collection of his live music. The songs are from many different years and venues ranging from 1980 to 2007. He played many of his biggest hits but also got into some deep cuts. He played a lot of very cool cover songs scattered throughout the set.

All of his performances here were in large venues and arenas which is why I never got to see him. I haven't been to a stadium or arena show since the mid 1970's. I just prefer to see live music in clubs and theaters. Oh well, my loss.

No comments: