Friday, December 31, 2021

Readings 2021 - Fiction

The first thing I realized when compiling my end of he year list of books was that I read a lot less this year. I read about thirty less books in 2021 than in the previous several years. I think the reason was because I was spending a lot more time writing in this blog.

I read my usual mix of science fiction, crime novels, Irish fiction and more books on the black experience in America. There were a few authors that I have gone back to read again including Benjamin Black/John Banville, Tana French, Jonathan Franzen, Cara Black, Don DeLillo, Adrian McKinty, Joe Ide, Martha Wells, Douglas Preston and John Sanford. I also went back and reread a couple of H.G. Wells novels and also a collection of Ray Bradbury stories. This year I started reading short crime story collections that are city noir themed. I started with Belfast Noir, then Manhattan Noir and Havana Noir. I'm looking forward to reading more of them.

This year I read the first four books of Adrian McKinty's Belfast crime novels and also his newest novel that takes place in the US.  I read a Walter Mosley crime novel from 1990 and I'd really like to read some more of these classic black detective crime stories. I finally read We by Yevgeny Zamyatin, a dystopian novel from 1924, that had been on my to read list for decades.


No comments: