Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Speed Humps

There has been some discussion this week on the upcoming summer installation of traffic slowing speed humps on our street that had recently been approved and scheduled by the city. I always referred to them as speed bumps but in Buffalo they are humps instead of bumps. Whatever you call them I'm for it and said so in a neighborhood survey last year.

It has always been a problem with people from the northern suburbs cutting through our neighborhood and speeding down our street during rush hour on their way to or from the expressway downtown. They try to avoid Main Street and come down Crescent Ave instead. We see it every day. Just this week I was sitting on the porch thinking about what it would be like with those speed humps on the street. I could picture seeing one from my chair and imagining the traffic slowing down to a reasonable speed or perhaps a drastically reduced volume if there was no benefit to driving down our street.

So I am looking forward to the speed humps on our street and throughout the neighborhood and even more so when I sit there watching cars speeding down the street. Everyday I marvel at the total disregard of speeding drivers to the people of the neighborhood. When I was working down the street at Canisius College I would often purposefully drive slow down my street after work to the chagrin of the many drivers wanting to drive too fast on my block. It felt good to feel their frustration.

No comments: