Saturday, September 11, 2021

Never Forget

Twenty years ago today. 9/11. I would never have expected to be reading a biography of Osama bin Laden on that anniversary day. It does make some sense because to never forget also means to know who made it happen, why it happened and how it happened. 

This book by veteran journalist and Middle East terrorism expert Peter Bergen explains a lot. I'm very early into the book and I'm amazed about how much is discussed here that I didn't know about at all. It 's going to be an interesting reading experience over the next couple of weeks.

Everyone today is thinking about where they were on 9/11  and what they felt on that day. I watched the towers burning on the TV in the Old Main lunch room and lounge at Canisius College surrounded by shocked students. It was very hard to get back to work and I stood there in the crowd of students, faculty and staff staring at the television. Everything was different from that moment on and everyone knew it. I also couldn't help thinking about standing on the observation deck of that tower a couple of weeks previously and was certainly part of the shock of that day.

I wrote about my experience with Sean when we went to the top of the World Trade Center in August of 2001 just before 9/11.

No comments: