Saturday, September 18, 2021

Elvis Costello's Spanish Model

I had recently heard some online discussion of a new Elvis Costello project where he was taking his classic 1978 album This Year's Model and putting new Spanish language vocal overdubs using the original Attractions background. The album was released on September 10th. I saw a review of it right away on All Music and went to Spotify and put it in my album collection to give it a listen. Then it took me a week to give it a listen and I was surprised at how much I really liked it.

This Year's Model has always been one of my favorite Elvis Costello albums but I was amazed at what he did here using all these different Latin singers. There were also quite a few non-LP contemporary tracks added to this project. So all of Costello's vocals are replaced by this very wide range of Latin artists that includes Luis Fonsi, Juanes, Draco Rosa, Cami, La Santa Cecilia’s La Marisoul, Jesse & Joy, Morat, Jorge Drexler, Fito Páez, Gian Marco, Vega and others, representing Mexico, Colombia, Chile, Spain, Uruguay, Argentina, Peru, Puerto Rico and even the mainland U.S. I must confess to not knowing any of these artists.

All of these artists were singing in front of one of the best backing bands ever. There are also a few remixes added to the album. I really enjoyed listening to this. So did Becky. I had to listen to it twice back to back.

There is an interesting article in Variety magazine about this project...  

Elvis Costello on the Endurance of ‘This Year’s Model,’ and What’s Gained in Translation With New ‘Spanish Model’

No comments: